The GSMA (Global System for Mobile Communications) has canceled Mobile World Congress (MWC), which is the world’s biggest stage for the smartphone industry, has been canceled over risks due to Coronavirus. GSMA announced on Wednesday that MWC is canceled as major companies had earlier said to not attend MWC over health risks. The MWC was supposed to be organized between February 24 and February 27.
“With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has canceled MWC Barcelona 2020 because the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event. The Host City Parties respect and understand this decision. The GSMA and the Host City Parties will continue to be working in unison and supporting each other for MWC Barcelona 2021 and future editions. Our sympathies at this time are with those affected in China, and all around the world.”GSMA CEO John Hoffman, in a statement, said
Coronavirus cases reports have exceeded over 42,000, and deaths over 1100. GSMA had made precautions for coronavirus at its event.
LG, ZTE, Ericsson, Nvidia, Intel, Vivo, Sony, Amazon and more had previously withdrawn from MWC over coronavirus. Realme was debuting in MWC this year with its X50 Pro 5G, and Xiaomi was supposed to showcase new smartphones at the event.